Page 30

 Focus Summer 2018

Documentary evidence reveals the names of stone towers that
once protected the inner bailey–Auditor’s Tower, Oxford’s Tow-
er, Maiden’s Tower and Constable’s Tower. Elizabeth de Clare,
possibly the family member who lived there for the longest
continuous period, seems to have built an ornamental garden in
the grounds. The portion of the flint keep on top of the motte
and the wall at Ladies Walk were recently restored by English
Heritage; this somewhat altered the profile of the keep. A flag-
pole was also added and at most times a flag with the de Clare
family arms is flown. (Three red chevrons on a yellow back-


In March 2015 the freehold of the Park, (all the land and build-
ings) was transferred from Suffolk County Council to Clare Town
Council. At the same time the Town Council entered into a 30
year lease with Clare Castle Country Park Trust for the latter to
manage the Park. The Town Council will own the land and build-
ings, but has delegated the running of the Park, by means of a 30
year lease and ‘Management Agreement’, to an independent
Charitable Trust.


The running of the Park is the sole responsibility of the Trustees.
The constitution of the Trust sets out that there must be a
minimum of three Trustees but in practice there are currently
eight, four of whom are appointed/re-elected every two year.
Trustees are appointed in a variety of ways – by the Town Coun-
cil, the Trustees themselves, a combination of the Town Council
and Trustees and by those defined as Supporters. ‘Supporters’
are volunteers and those who make a financial contribution as
Friends or Patrons. ‘Friends & Patrons’.

The Trust has a comprehensive Business Plan that is updated
annually, and produces quarterly accounts. The Trustees meet
regularly to review progress and discuss future plans.

The Clare Country Park is open every day to visitors. Parking is
available but subject to charges. The town, including shops,
pubs and restaurants, is just a short walk away.

Clare Country Park awarded £1.5 million by Lottery

The Country Park in Clare has recently been successful in
obtaining a grant of £1.5 million from the Lottery Heritage
Foundation. This money will be used to improve the park
and its buildings making it a perfect visitors area.

The country park is an ancient open space that is steeped in
History. Records show that it has been collectively a Fine Castle,
A Railway Station and more recently a Country Park At the heart
of the Country Park is Clare Castle, first built in the 11th century
by Richard FitzGilbert, a Norman knight who was rewarded by
William the Conqueror with large estates in Suffolk, Essex and
Kent. He is estimated to have been the sixth wealthiest non-royal
layman in England at the time of Domesday Book in 1086. Rich-
ard had built a castle at Tonbridge before the one in Clare, but
Richard and his descendants made Clare their administrative
seat, eventually taking the family name from the town. The
Castle flourished for 3 centuries until the death of Elizabeth de
Clare in 1360.

The marriage of her granddaughter led the Castle into royal
hands but by the sixteenth century the royal connection had
ceased to be an influence and it was already in ruins. Later it
passed into private hands resulting eventually in it being compul-
sorily purchased to form part of the Great Eastern Railway as
Clare station which was open from 1865 until 1967. In 1970, the
remaining Castle grounds were donated to Clare Rural District
Council and West Suffolk Council, the railway land was re-pur-
chased, and in 1972 Clare Castle Country Park opened, by then
solely owned by Suffolk County Council.

Clare Castle has a motte and bailey structure. The motte at about
60 feet high is one of the highest in the country, once surmount-
ed by a shell keep of at least two stories, over 50 feet in
diameter,of which now only a portion remains with its buttress-
es. The keep, made of flint, was probably constructed in the
thirteenth century replacing a previous wooden structure. There
were two baileys surrounded by the Stour to the south, the
Chilton Stream to the east and north, and moats. Still standing is
the wall that once separated the two baileys, next to Ladies
Walk, over half of the outer bailey, and a few sections of flint wall
of the southern side of the inner bailey.

Clare Country Park